Medisport

I was tasked with redesigning a website for a private health clinic. My challenge was to create a great looking, accessible website that was easy to navigate and provided users with all the necessary information.

The challenge

Trends in webdesign change rather quickly, and as it'd already been a few years since the website first came to life, it needed a thorough refresh. Its outdated looks were not its biggest issue though. After years of adding all kinds of information about new medical procedures, staff etc., the site turned into an almost impossible to navigate maze of links littered with all kinds of ungainly boxes, badly fitting iframes and annoying modals. The complaints about the navigational issues voiced by the clinic's customers were echoed by the staff who often couldn't figure out how to edit some of the website's content. The first thing that needed to be dealt with was the navigational structure. The myriad of diagnostic tests and procedures that neeed to be sorted into several different categories in a way that would be coherent to the average private clinic website goer.

Navigational structure

After putting together a comprehensive list of diagnostics and procedures, I asked a handful of people to perform card sorting. We then went over the categories and lists with the client, who was mostly happy with the results. As a medical specialist, he thought some changes needed to be made. At that point it was my turn to come up with a way to best present the vast amount of information in the most legible, easily accessible way. Since I thought the volume of information a user would have to deal with in order to find a specific medical procedure is still too large, I proposed a solution in the form of a complex website-wide search system that'd allow users to search for ailments, injured body parts, diagnostics, procedures and clinic staff. In the case of ailments, the search system would return proposed diagnostics and procedures and medical staff who specialize in a given ailment. While the client liked the idea of the ability to search for diagnostics and procedures, he wanted to keep the navigation pretty standard, so I had to rethink the website's structure once again and return with another round of mockups. After we were in agreement as far as site navigation goes, it was time for user testing. Some minor correction were needed before we could move to the next stage.

What you see

The client didn't provide any materials other than some photos and the logo that he wanted to be left intact. I had to choose a color palette that didn't clash with the colors in the logo (graphite, orange) and made sense in the context of the medical field. Since we needed many more photos than were provided by the client, I also had to find a set of photos that fit well within the style of photos provided by the client.

Aftermath

It's actually surprising how tiny the current website seems compared to the old one, all thanks to improved navigational structure that allowed to compact or even merge many of the site's subpages without losing any valuable information. I think that a website like this is quite a good example of importance of UX design. Without the work done under the hood that you can't even see when browsing through the finished website, the website could be pretty, but its functionality would still be lackluster.